On the Beach Towers rezoning application, City Councillors heard from 8 speakers on Feb.5th. There are 48 speakers listed for this item.The public hearing will continue at City Hall on Tuesday, Feb.19th at 6:00pm.
The rezoning application for 1600 Beach Avenue will go to a public hearing on Tuesday, Feb. 5th at City Hall.
Sign up to speak and read the details of the application here.
WERA President, Christine Ackermann, is quoted in this Jan.30th Georgia Straight article about the rezoning of Beach Towers:
Christine Ackermann doesn’t agree with the way city staff has addressed the affordability aspect of the Beach Towers project. The president of the West End Residents Association considers as a “misnomer” the comparison made by staff between the anticipated monthly rents to the costs of home ownership for average properties in the West End.
“We should be talking about affordability in terms of the percentage of your income, and not a renter’s income compared to an owner’s income,” Ackermann told the Georgia Straight in a phone interview.
IBI/HB Architects has submitted a revised application to rezone this site from RM-5A (Multiple Residential) District to Comprehensive Development (CD-1) District, to add a total of 133 dwelling units to these sites. The application proposes:
- Along Beach Ave: add a 4-storey residential building.
- At Harwood and Cardero St: add a 9-storey residential building.
- At Beach Ave and Cardero St: add a partially submerged one-storey amenity building.
- Infill the base of the existing towers to expand the lobbies, add a new rental office, and create additional amenity space.
- On the Harwood St site: add 3-storey residential additions on either side of the existing Columbus House building and a 2-storey townhouse building along the lane.
Community Open House
Date: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 Time: 5:30 – 8:30 pm
1763 Comox Street (at Denman Street)
For more information or to submit comments:
Contact: Karen Hoese, Rezoning Planner
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Planning tel: 604.871.6403 453